Telcos have already started their digital transformation but they have still have many challenges ahead to become full digital service providers and digital-driven companies.
Our Telecoms Digital playbookintroduces the latest market trends and customer perspectives in an increasingly digitized world and presents key challenges and opportunities faced by Telcos in this changing environment.
Below is a summary of our findings.
The digital revolution: market trends and challenges for telcos
- Digital is already part of our daily lives; adoption is driven by customer demand for real-time information and seamless interactions across devices.
- With new digital behaviors, customer expectations and needs shift.
- Telcos face many challenges due to stagnant growth of the industry and increasing direct and indirect competition.
- As a response to this downward revenue trend, telecom operators should seek opportunities elsewhere in the digital ecosystem.
- Telecom operators can leverage four main opportunities to grow their revenues in the digital landscape.
Digital transformation path for telcos
- To succeed in the rapidly evolving digital ecosystem, telcos need to define clear strategies and paths for digital transformation.
- On the road to digital transformation, telcos need to strategize and plan on how to organize for digital, based on their current digital maturity.
- Large telcos in Europe have initiated three main types of initiatives to address digital transformation challenges.
- Telco operators need to consider six key success factors in order to succeed in the digital landscape.
Telcos’ digital best practices and use cases
- Use case #1
Becoming a digital life provider and capturing adjacent business opportunities
- A number of operators across the world are already developing strategies to conquer their space in the rapidly evolving digital ecosystem.
- The majority of telecom industry players register less than 5% in digital revenues.
- To capture new revenues, telcos can leverage capabilities and assets to position themselves as vertical players, offering services beyond connectivity.
- Use case #2
Reinventing the customer experience and simplifying the commercial model
- Customer experience improvement is considered a top priority by telcos, and digital is a key facilitator.
- Customer 2.0 is forcing ecosystem players to provide digital interfaces and consistency of digital experiences across channels.
- In their digital transformation path, telcos have started reinventing the customer experience through digital-driven omnichannels.
- A digital-driven omnichannel strategy has a proven impact on customer satisfaction —telcos should develop in-house capabilities to make it work.
- Use case #3
Leveraging analytics to improve performance and better address customers
- Telcos best practices: leveraging analytics to boost business performance.
- The EY Customer Analytics platform develops advanced models and visualization tools for customer life cycle management.
- Customer Analytics platform stands as a powerful tool, unifying customer profiling, CLV and customer experience analytics into one model.
- Telcos can leverage analytics to improve performance and efficiency of both their front-end and back-end activities.
- From similar projects in telco space, EY experienced firsthand the tangible benefits of a robust customer analytics practice.
EY offerings for telcos’ digital transformation
We have established five distinct digital offerings reflecting the holistic set of challenges that digital creates for our clients.
- Digital enterprise strategy: We help our clients rethink their business strategy and operating model for a digital age.
- Incubation and innovation: We establish an end-to-end innovation capability to incubate new ideas and business models.
- Experience transformation: We analyze the world of the customer, then design and implement new experiences.
- Digital operations: We align, optimize and automate operations and supply chain to deliver on the promise of digital.
- Digital trust: We scan the digital risk horizon and help our clients build agility to respond to digital risks.